Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Afterlife by Gary Soto



Our book club is reading this one, and I'll be interested to see what they think. I wasn't too impressed. I think it's a pretty good short story, but didn't feel it deserved a starred review in Booklist. With a no name author, I don't think it would have received a starred review. It's on the ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant YA Readers list, which I do agree with, because it's short and the main character is dead.
Bascially, Chuy is murdered in a bathroom of a club because he tells a fellow Hispanic that he likes his shoes. For the next few days, Chuy wonders around, visits his family and friends, and says goodbye to the world. In the process, he meets a fellow spirit who just committed suicide and falls in love with her. The story is predictable and interspersed with Spanish words. I'm glad there was a glossary in the back because I didn't learn those words in Spanish II! So I'll give this book about 2 1/2 stars. It was okay--not great and not bad.

No comments: