Monday, January 1, 2007

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby




So I read this one as a recommendation from a friend in the army who kind of compared it to chick lit for guys, and I totally agree. Really, it read like a young adult guy book, except the main character is in his 30s. Poor Rob listens to WAY too many records and the song lyrics have affected his personality in a bad way. He is so upset that his live-in girlfriend dumps him, even though he cheated on her, and wasn't very supportive when she goes through a VERY rough time (read the book to find out what). But, like chick lit, everything turns out okay in the end. Which is why this author is pretty cool. Because I wanted Rob to fall in love with someone, ANYONE, and Laura sure seemed like the right girl to handle him. Really, Laura knows Rob better than he knows himself. And we know that sometimes men are that dense, and need a women to tell them what they want out of life. :-) Okay, that might be pushing it.

But, all in all, this was an easy read, and any of my high school kids could handle it. If you like Finding Lubchenko, Bottled Up, Freshmen, or Girls for Breakfast, you'll like this one, too.
I just watched the movie last night and I loved it. John Cusack is excellent as Rob, and the movie reminded me of Say Anything. I'm not sure why the setting was changed from London to Chicago, but I loved how some of the quotes from the book were kept in the movie dialogue. Jack Black makes a great sidekick, too.

No comments: