Monday, February 5, 2007

Big Mouth and Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates


This was a reread for me, but it is one of the titles up for next year's Abraham Lincoln High School Book award, so I figured I needed to reread it. It is better than average, but it's written by Joyce Carol Oates, so I expect it to be good.
Ursula Riggs is a tall, pierced, self-proclaimed ugly girl who involves herself in a school controversy when she sticks up for Matt Donaghy. In the lunchroom, Matt jokes about shooting up the school to his buddies. Two students overhear, and next thing you know, Matt is suspended for three days and ostracized by his peers and the whole town. Ursula defends Matt to the principal, and befriends him through email. Both kids suffer from depression and help each other out, and the friendship leads to a romance at the end of the novel.
This is really a junior high book, I think, but the cover is interesting and students pick it up.

No comments: