Monday, February 26, 2007

Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson


I read this one two years ago when it first came out and gave it a 7 out of 10. I think my rating has improved to an 8 out of 10 now for some reason! I liked the quirky Ashley better this time around. I still think it's rather unrealistic, but that's what makes it fun. Ashley's friend Natalie has the best Russian grandmother in literature. I love how the old lady dresses funny, speaks Russian to everyone as if they understand, and swims in the baptismal pool at the Methodist church without permission. She's a kooky old lady, just like I hope to be in 50 years! Ashley finally ends up smartening up and dumping her boyfriend who isn't going anywhere. And Ashley ends up going to community college because planning the prom makes her realize that she is good at something. She has a way of getting what she needs, whether it's the janitors to clean up after prom in exchange for pastries, or getting the most popular girl in school to buy prom tickets in exchange for a cool ride to prom.

No comments: