Monday, February 26, 2007

Shooter by Walter Dean Myers


This one received a starred review in Publisher's Weekly, but I just don't see its greatness. I know Myers is a great author, and he wrote one of my favorite Vietnam books, Fallen Angels. But this one about a school shooting just irritates me. As I read it, I kept thinking, ahhh, another school shooting book. It seems to me that after Columbine, every important author felt the need to write about bullies and school shootings. The format of this one is interesting at least. It consists of psychologists' reports and police interrogation transcripts with the young people involved with the shooting. The two young people allow themselves to be run over by the twisted kid who ends up shooting himself in the school, after shooting some other kids from a window.

No comments: