Thursday, March 1, 2007

47 by Walter Mosley


This one is interesting. I can honestly say that I haven't read anything quite like it, and that's quite a feat considering all the young adult books I've read in my lifetime! In 47, the author has blended life on a slave plantation and African folklore and fantasy to create something unique. The name of the book is also the main character. 47 lives on a plantation where the slaves are numbered instead of named. When a slave dies, another slave is bought and given the number. 47 meets a black man named Tall John in the forest and the two of them form a bond. 47 is special and is chosen my the mystical beings to take Tall John's place. 47 becomes immortal and helps lead slaves to freedom. It's pretty complicated, but the mixture of fairy tale and fantasy is awesome. I was really entertained.

No comments: