Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Yossel: April 19, 1943: a story of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising by Joe Kubert



This is a great one! Really, this could be used as a textbook in history classes. A lot of the information was repetitive for me since I already knew a lot about the Warsaw ghetto uprising. It started slowly, but, oh my, did it pick up in the middle. I didn't want to put it down until I finished. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like this one better than Maus.

Yossel is a young boy when his family is placed in the Warsaw ghetto. He entertains the Nazis and the people around him because he is an artist. He can draw superheros and the horrors that are taking place around him. His family is taken to Auschwitz. People around him were starving. Then Yossel meets an old teacher of his who has escaped from a death camp. Yossel draws his story, and it is very powerful. The story ends with Yossel and his friends in a sewer under the ghetto, trapped, and ready to fight the Nazis. This story has been told so many times, but I really like this wonderfully drawn graphic novel. The pencil drawings are stark and even look incomplete in places. The paper feels like expensive drawing paper. Please read this one.

No comments: