Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian


Ahhh, I should have known this author wouldn't have let me down. With 50 pages to go, I was feeling a little disappointed, but BANG, the twist got me in the end. Yes. I'll admit it. I didn't expect everything that happened at the end. So, to me, this is a great book!

Laurel is attacked while riding her bike during college and spends the next few years becoming a leader at the local homeless shelter. She has a roommate who is also her best friend and a older boyfriend who cares for her. But then a homeless man dies and hundreds of photographs are found. Laurel finds pictures of Jay Gatsby's home (which is later her swim club) and frighteningly finds pictures of her on her bike the day of her attack. What was Bobbie Crocker doing there the day she was attacked? Was he really the son of Daisy Buchanan? the illegitimate son of Jay Gatsby? Laurel's investigation occupy most of the novel as she becomes obsessed with proving that Bobbie Crocker is the son of Daisy Buchanan. This is a fascinating read and I plan on putting this one on the reading list for any student who is a fan of The Great Gatsby.

No comments: