Monday, June 4, 2007

Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead


This adult Civil War novel was a disappointment. It's too literary for me and for my students. The author definitely did his research on what the aftermath of a battlefield looked like though. At some parts I felt like I was reading from my old Civil War textbook. Yes, I really did take a class for my minor called THE CIVIL WAR. My professor even shot a musket on campus. I bet they don't do that anymore!

I'm sure I'm supposed to use words like beautiful, stunning, powerful, blah, blah, blah, but I just think the book was kind of boring. Robey is a young boy when his mother has a vision. General Jackson is dead and Robey has to fetch his dad home. Robey is lent a coal black horse from the blacksmith, and off he goes on his quest. He gets shot while his horse is stolen. He sees a girl get raped and he doesn't do anything to stop it (that part really bothered me). He sees hell during and after a battle. And he finds his father dying. Then he meets up with the girl and avenges everything he has dealt with, now that he is a man. He travels back home, taking the girl with him. This won't be one I purchase for school. The action is there, but I just didn't get into the book at all.

No comments: