Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard


This was a surprisingly decent vampire novel. I must admit that I went through a vampire stage when I was in high school and read every fiction novel out there about them. Since then, I haven't been too keen on vampires, other than Twilight by Meyer and Peeps by Westerfeld.

Hubbard has the action move slowly and calmly. I picture the author as someone who speaks deliberately and carefully. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I get from reading this author's first novel. Ariella is a 13 year old wise beyond her years. Her handsome father home schools her and she has received quite the classical education. But her young teenage mind knows that something isn't right. She has never met her mother. Her father is weird. She sunburns easily. The mirrors in their old Victorian house don't work. And her father researches blood in the basement of their house. So, she finds out that they are vampires. What I like about this novel is that this discovery is a slow one. And Ariella completes quite the research process to discover what is going on. She begins a quest to find her mother and there are even a few murders thrown in her to leave the reader guessing. All in all, it's a good book. I don't know if I'm wowed by it, but I can give this to Twilight readers and I think they will enjoy it.

No comments: