Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini


I admit it. I cried about Mariam. No sobbing, but there were definitely tears forming and pooling a bit as I stayed up until 3 am to finish this novel. It was great, just like The Kite Runner, but I do have one complaint that I have to voice. I felt like, oh-no-another-Muslim-suffering-girl-behind-the-burkha story. I mean, it seems I've read tons of these in the past few years, both fiction and non-fiction, so I wasn't exactly thrilled about reading another one. Of course, Hosseini writes so well, he makes a story about poor downtrodden women in the Middle East sound like something new. Please don't think I'm cruel or don't understand the situation of women over there. I'm sick of I-can't-make-the-teenage-boy-like-me books, too.

No comments: