Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lord Loss: The Demonata by Darren Shan



Well, I had to read this one before I put it on the shelf for the students! The whole demon on the cover scared me a bit. But, it's typical Darren Shan, who is best known for his Cirque du Freak series. The book is a little gory, a little fantasy, and not very scary.

Grubbs Grady is horrible to his family, but he actually misses them after they are torn apart by demons one night. He has to live with his Uncle Dervish, who is rich and lives in a Gothic mansion. (of course). Grubbs befriends Bill-E Spleen and they believe that Uncle Dervish is a werewolf and set off to prove it. Eventually there is a "killer" chess tournament with Uncle Dervish, Grubbs, Lord Loss, and some familiars. This is book one in the series, but I don't think I'll be purchasing the rest. Interlibrary loan might have to satisfy readers of this poorly written horror tale.

No comments: