Sunday, November 25, 2007

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: a Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver

I went into this adult book with a definite bias. I'm the daughter of a staunch Republican corn and soybean farmer who listens to talk radio. I grew up ten miles from ADM and Staley's processing plants in Decatur, Illinois. And, horror of horrors, I vote Republican since I know my Libertarian vote only takes away from the Republicans.

So this isn't exactly the book for me. I struggled with it. Kingsolver is a great writer; we all know her novels are pretty good. But in this book she and her family promise to try to live off the land. They are concerned with the oil crisis and corn syrup and gas prices and food additives and everything else that I don't concern myself with. (Yes, that's a preposition I'm ending my sentence with) (again)

If you want to know where food comes from like all the other city folk out there or if you like shopping at farmer's markets and driving a hybrid, this book is for you. If you're like me, it isn't! :)

P.S. I don't like how she blamed the Arizona drought on global warming. Last I heard, it's because people aren't supposed to live in a desert. The land can't support the booming population and the desert is just getting dryer.

P.P.S. I can't wait to read the comments on this post!

No comments: