Monday, December 17, 2007

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


I had to read this young adult novel since it won the National Book Award for YA Lit. I must admit that it isn't checked out much at my high school library, but I'm going to do my best to book talk this awesome, wonderful book!

Junior lives on a Spokane Indian reservation and has a way of always getting picked on. He's smart, skinny, and was born with fluid in the brain. Well, kind of. But a whole host of problems begin when he decides to go to the "white" school outside the rez. Hence the "part-time Indian" phrase in the title. The Indians hate him because he's turned white. The white kids hate him because he's different. And Junior has to live with it, along with the regular problems on the rez like alcoholism, physical abuse, and the overcoming sense of hopelessness. I really, really like Junior. I laughed out loud and had that feel-good feeling when I finished the book. This one is definitely on my Top 2007 title list.

No comments: