Monday, December 10, 2007

Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking by Aoibheann Sweeney


From the cover of this adult novel, I was expecting an artsy-fartsy literary thing. I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. Is it one of the best books I've read all year? No, mainly because I can't think of a single student to recommend it to. But, the author definitely wins the coolest first name award.

Miranda grows up on an isolated island in Maine caring for her intellectual father who is translated Ovid. She cooks, cleans, and takes care of her absent-minded father. She doesn't lead much of a life on the isolated island. Her only real friend is Mr. Blackwell, a friend of her father's, who mysteriously "breaks up" with her dad for some unknown reason. Miranda finally gets a chance to leave the island to work at the Institute in NYC that her father founded. She is overwhelmed by the city and the people she meets. She is trying to find herself, but has a difficult time breaking away from her father and his past that keeps haunting her. Quite the coming-of-age love story.

No comments: