Monday, December 17, 2007

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon


I read this adult novel years ago and re-read it this weekend. Our faculty book club is discussing it tomorrow so I needed to refresh my memories of it! And I'm glad I did.

Reasons why I like this book:
1. It's written from the perspective of a teenage boy who has autism.
2. It's a mystery and a family drama all rolled together.
3. The reader has to read between the lines to figure out what's going on.
4. Gotta love the math.
5. It makes me thankful to have the life I lead.

I do have one complaint about this novel though. I had forgotten about how the ending disappointed me the first time. Everything wraps up just fine from the narrator's perspective, although I guess everything is fine from his point of view. And that's the troubling thing. As long as Christopher's schedule isn't too disruptive, his life is okay. Even if parents are switching on him, pets are dying, and things are yellow.

No comments: