Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman


I don't usually blog about movies, but I had to today. Last night I went to see The Golden Compass in Mattoon and thought is was so-so. First of all, the casting director did a terrific job. Lyra is wonderful and has a huge future in front of her. Nicole Kidman is an evil Mrs. Coulter, and the cowboy is great. I really wanted to see more Lord Asriel.

Since I just re-read the book for book club a few weeks ago, I knew what was going to happen. However, I think the movie would be slow at the beginning for people who haven't read the book. I hated the constant gold glitter every time Lyra read the golden compass. But I think that's the only thing I hated. The scenery was beautiful and the daemons were wonderful. The bear story was a little short compared to the book and, of course, the movie left a lot of important details out. But, overall, I think the movie did the book justice. The ending stunk in the movie though. I mean, everything is all peachy clean and wrapped up, and that isn't the way it ends in the book.

But, overall, go see the movie. And read the book. I believe Pullman wrote one of the best fantasy trilogies in young adult literature. Notice how I said fantasy and not theological study? The book is fiction. Churches should stop telling people what to do (like what the Magisterium does in the book) and take field trips to see the movie so that they can discuss it intelligently. Education is the key here, not ignorance.

No comments: