Monday, December 3, 2007

The Mistress's Daughter by A.M. Homes


This audio CD was rather entertaining. I've never read any of the author's novels, and this memoir didn't make me rush out and read them. However, I think this book would be great bibliotherapy for anyone who has been adopted or put someone up for adoption. It is almost the "how-to-not" make things work. Homes seems genuinely pleased that she didn't grow up with her birth mother, and I don't blame her. But, the amount of therapy that Homes needs after meeting and putting up with her birth parents is horrific. It's no wonder she became obsessed with finding out who she is. Both biologically and adoptively (Is that a word?). I'm sure this adult memoir is fascinating to many adults, but I won't be purchasing it for my high school library. I think it moves a little too slowly for most high school students. However, I give the narrator top marks for a quality production. Wow.

No comments: