Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Shotgun Rule by Charlie Huston


I was awake until 12:30 am last night. On a school night. I regret it now, but I just couldn't stop reading this adult crime fiction novel until I was satisfied. Here's the thing: I dislike novels where humanity disappoints me. I just can't imagine people living in a world like the one portrayed in this novel. Everything is so dark, gritty, evil, and depressing.

Four teenage boys in northern California (seemed like downtown LA or something to me) live a rough life. And they make it worse. They steal, have fun with with every drug and alcohol combination available, and get into trouble. The gang situation in this town is disgusting...yet I had to keep reading. Don't read this if you can't stand gore, cuss words, and pointless violence. I was grimacing toward the end. Yuck.

No comments: