Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber (Vol. 1)


I know this young adult fantasy is popular with the girls at my school who will read absolutely everything vampire-related. But, oh my, this book was a horrible read. The dialogue was stilted and corny. The interaction between Raven and the jocks at her school is sooooo unbelievable. I didn't get to know any of the characters. I don't even like any of the characters. The Gothic and mysterious Alexander seems like a cutie, but I didn't get to know him by reading this book. All in all, I think this is a poorly written novel that was shoved onto the printing press without much thought. I'm really surprised it came out in hardcover first--it seems like a straight to paperback book. I am so happy I don't have to read the rest of the series, but I will buy them for my library. Kids like them. I just hope they understand that they are fluff and that there are much better vampire books out there (like Westerfeld's Peeps series).

No comments: