Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman


Matt Fuller is one of those MIT people who never seem to finish their dissertation. Instead he's tinkering with a machine that suddenly starts to disappear when fired up at steady increments. At first it's gone for a few seconds, then a few minutes, and then six hours. Since Matt is a MIT students, he charts everything and studies it, but then finds out that he's been fired from his job at MIT and heck, he might as well attach himself to the time machine and see if it fixes his troubles. In fact, that's what he does every time he goes into the future. The time machine only goes forward, but Matt doesn't seem to worry about the negatives of the experience. He only wants to get out of his present trouble, no matter what century it's in.

I really didn't care for this title. It isn't that I don't like science fiction. But I cringe when I read books about time travel. It's such an old concept and, no matter what other reviewers say, I don't think Haldeman treated the subject very well. I liked Jack Finney's Time and Again much better. Maybe because Finney's book goes into the past instead of the future? I'm not sure. But I had to force myself to finish this adult novel. It just didn't suit me.

No comments: