Monday, January 7, 2008

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold, Read by Joan Allen


I was expecting another Lovely Bones or Lucky, but I didn't get it. I guess those expectations are hard to live up to though. Sebold did deliver another psychological, shocking, gruesome adult novel though. Maybe because I listened to the audio version, but I found the first chapter or two pretty disturbing. Why? Because the main character, Helen Knightly, kills her mother. And I'm not giving away the plot, because the back cover says this, too. Helen "accidentally" breaks her mother's nose as she suffocates her. But there is so much more to the story. Through a series of flashbacks, the novel covers 24 hours, but reveals so much more. Helen went through so much dealing with her mentally ill mother. If you liked her previous books, read this one, too. It's a bestseller because of the author, but lots of people will be talking about it, too.

No comments: