Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates


I've read this young adult novel before, but needed to read it again because I couldn't remember if I liked it or not! Actually, all I wrote in my notes was that I liked After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away better than this novel. So I wanted to give it a fresh read and see what I thought.

Oates is a great author, of both YA and adult novels, and here she tackles something eerily similar to O.J. Simpson. Franky's dad is a famous sportscaster and ex-athlete who has anger problems. He abuses his entire family and then manipulates them into thinking they are the problem. Franky's mother gets away by moving into a small cabin to escape to her pottery and art. But the kids are left with dad and they don't understand why mom left. Basically, the father threatened that he would kill his wife before they ever divorced. And so this is a tale of manipulation. Franky is a smart girl, yet still believes her father. Will she realize that her father is an abuser? or will she take the easy way out and conform to what her father wants her to be?

No comments: