Friday, January 25, 2008

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak


After giving up on The Book Thief a few weeks ago, I felt like I had to give another award-winning Zusak title a try. This young adult title worked for me and I can see why it won the Printz honor award. It's definitely different and I have to admit I was a little confused at the end. I was enjoying the ride (and the plot) and the end through me for a loop. I didn't hate the ending, mind you, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I want to think that there are messengers and guardian angels out there in our world.

Ed Kennedy is a slacker (along with his friends) who doesn't have much direction in life. Until he foils a bank robbery and becomes a local hero. Someone begins sending him playing cards in the mail with cryptic messages. Ed has to remain the hero and solve problems for people. He helps a young girl feel comfortable with her running. He saves a wife and child from an abusive husband. He keeps an elderly woman company by pretending to be her long-lost Jimmie. But, most of all, Ed Kennedy matures, grows up, and comes-of-age. This is adventure, mystery, romance, and a little bit of everything else. I would recommend this for juniors or seniors.

And, the accent in this audiobook was wonderful. You can't beat Australian accents! (Well, except for Irish brogues)

No comments: