Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Looking for Alaska by John Green


Of course, I have read the book before, but I wanted to listen to the audiobook, too. I could remember the general events of the novel, but I remembered how GOOD this book is! John Green is one of my favorite novelists and I was a faithful Brotherhood 2.0 subscriber. I looooooove this book.

Miles Halter goes off to boarding school to re-start his life and seek the "great perhaps." He finds it in his roommate, the Colonel, and Alaska, a girl he falls in love with at first sight. Alaska is outspoken, hot, smart, and loves teasing Miles. The three of them (and a few other kids) form a tight friendship throughout the year at Culver Creek Academy. Playing pranks is their game, as well as all sorts of other illegal activities in their dorm rooms and under bridges off-campus. But, as you can tell from the title and the book cover, things start to unravel. Miles does end up looking for Alaska and he grows up a lot in the process. Things aren't always what they seem. And some valuable lessons are learned while trying to get out of the labyrinth of sadness.

I love John Green's two books because he writes realistically about teenage students. Just like Catcher in the Rye, Green gets into the mind of Miles Halter and his friends. Yep, they cuss, just like the teenagers at my school. Yep, they do some things they shouldn't outside of class. But I still love and will always defend this title. Heck, it won the PRINTZ award!!! This book was considered the best young adult title published in one year!! It deserves to be in all high school and public libraries.

No comments: