Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell, read by Kate Reading


I think that Cornwell might be getting tired of writing about Kay Scarpetta. I absolutely love Scarpetta, Marino, and Lucy, but this novel doesn't do the characters justice. The three of them have relocated to Charleston, South Carolina, and all three are struggling with their own demons--so much so that their troubles swamp the mystery. Lucy has a brain tumor, Marino is an unhappy alcoholic still in love with Kay, and Kay is dealing with her abuse as a child and her love of Benton, who finally wants to commit. The mystery of the tennis star found murdered in Rome is overshadowed by the personal problems of the main characters, which is a little unlike Cornwell. Also, I guessed the outcome of the book, which isn't like Cornwell. Usually she keeps me hanging. Even though I was disappointed in this adult mystery, I'll still keep reading Cornwell's work. I still think she's one of the best popular mystery writers out there.

No comments: