Friday, February 22, 2008

Conception by Kalisha Buckhanon


I thoroughly enjoyed this author's debut adult novel, Upstate, so I was looking forward to reading this one. I loved it! Whoo-whoo for Kalisha Buckhanon! She creates wonderful urban romances. Realistic. I mean, I kept thinking, "these kids are stupid" as the character's actions unfolded. But, I kept reading and stayed up late to finish the book in one sitting.

The setting is Chicago in the early 1990's (and I loved the few music references) in the "almost" projects. Shivana has an abusive mother and doesn't know a single man who is a good dad. In fact, the women around here don't expect a man to be good--which is so, so sad. Shivana ends up pregnant and finally meets a promising boy, although he's unemployed and getting his GED, so is that really promising? The two of them hold on tight to survive and leave Chicago to find a better life. Shivana's story is interrupted by the story of the fetus who is trying to be born. Beginning in slave days, the poor girl hasn't had the chance to grow up. She's trying to be born, but isn't too sure it's going to happen. This book reminded me of The Lovely Bones and the love story reminded me of Upstate. Realistic, gritty, thought-provoking, and just dang good. Read it!

No comments: