Monday, February 18, 2008

Hitch by Jeannette Ingold


I read to page 40 in this young adult historical novel, and just couldn't continue. Not when I have so many interesting novels on my shelves begging to be read. I don't think this is a bad novel, but I just felt like I was reading a junior high Accelerated Reader novel. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood? But, anyway, I felt like I was wading through so much historical background information and waiting for the plot to kick in. I didn't want to wait. So I stopped.

The official Library of Congress summary: "To help his family during the Depression and avoid becoming a drunk like his father, Moss Trawnley joins the Civilian Conservation Corps, helps build a new camp near Monroe, Montana, and leads the other men in making the camp a success."

No comments: