Sunday, February 10, 2008

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff


I had to re-read this one because I couldn't remember if I liked it or not. It won the Printz award, so it's a big deal. I'm not all that impressed. It seemed like another angst-ridden teenage girl telling an end-of-the-world survival story.

Daisy leaves the United States because her dad is remarrying. The step-mom and Daisy don't get along, resulting in an anorexic Daisy. She moves in with her dead mother's sister in London, and her cousins heal her in ways no one else can. A war begins, in a big way, and all of a sudden there isn't food and no one can be trusted. Daisy's cousins support themselves on the farm until the army moves into their farmhouse. The gross part of this book to me was Daisy falling in love with her first cousin. Ewwwww. I'm sorry. I know it's legal in some states, but not where I'm from. Yuck. So I couldn't get into the whole romance portion of the book. Daisy struggles, along with the rest of her family, until the war is over and she is finally reunited with her cousins again. She finds her home with them instead of her father.

No comments: