Sunday, February 10, 2008

Margaux with an X by Ron Koertge

I didn't realize that I had already this young adult novel until I was halfway through it--ugh! I have when that happens! So I kind of remembered what happened but had to keep reading to make sure. At least the little book was short and a quick read.

Margaux is the most beautiful girl anywhere, but struggling inside (like all beautiful girls in YA lit). Her mom acts like a tramp and her dad is a professional gambler. Not a good combination. She finally finds salvation of sorts in a dorky boy a year younger than her who works for the animal shelter. Danny is smart and able to hold his own again Margaux's caustic wit. They check on animals together and witness each other's downsides. Margaux finally confronts her parents with her history of abuse, which results in her leaving her family. Her parents are good for her, and won't change. Danny has problems, too, but at least he is capable of love and trust.

No comments: