Monday, March 3, 2008

Gossip of the Starlings by Nina de Gramont


This adult novel is due to be published in June and I can't find any other reviews. This is one case where I feel that I might be way off-base on my review. Oh well.

Catherine is a rich, snooty girl who is always friends with the other beautiful rich people. At her new boarding school, she is instantly befriended by the famous Senator's daughter, Skye, and is befuddled by the relationship. The two of them are instant friends, yet Skye yearns for her old friendship of Susannah at her old school. Catherine is dazzled by Skye's famous family and old money and sucked into her world. Despite Susannah's jealous warnings, Catherine becomes Skye's world.


I felt like I had read an older version of this book before, but new drugs had been added. I know I’ve read a lot of prep school books, and I’m not sure if this book was a good addition to the genre. I KNOW the book will be talked about. The publisher is already pushing it. And it is shocking and a decent read. But I’m not wowed by it. I felt like the author crammed all sorts of “good” stuff into the book—famous politician’s daughter, uncaring father, gorgeous poor boy, Venezuelan cocaine runs, boarding school trouble, teacher/student affair, mean/lying girls. Oh, and horses. I admit that I liked the horse parts best.

No comments: