Monday, March 24, 2008

Take Me There by Susane Colasanti


After reading and loving Colasanti's When It Happens, I eagerly snatched this advance reading copy at the ALA conference in January. I truly believe that When It Happens is one of the best young adult romances out there and highly recommend it to my students. So I was a little disappointed in Colasanti's new romance. I was a little confused as I read it and had to keep referring to the first few chapters. Rhiannon is upset because Steve broke up with her. James is Rhiannon's friend who wishes she would like him as more than a friend. Nicole just broke up with Danny and likes her teacher. Brad is beating up Sheila. Gloria is after Steve. See how it gets confusing? The problem with the alternating narrators is that I never felt like I really got to know any of the characters, which resulted in confusion. The narration switches from Rhiannon to Nicole to James. Tricky. It could have worked with a little more editing and focus. It just didn't quite get there for me. I'll still buy this novel for my library, but I won't push it as much as her first one.

No comments: