Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


Rare is the book that makes me laugh and cry. This adult novel succeeded. I laughed at the swimming pool today while I read the tale of the demon zebra. And I cried at the end. (I won't give it away). But, oh, the emotions this one brought out in me! Of course, the picture on the cover didn't help. It looks like my Kacey, who is about 9 years old now and living with my ex-husband. When I visit, she leans up against me. I swear she's the smartest dog ever. And maybe she is a lot like Enzo in this novel? :)

The story is told through Enzo, the dog of Denny. Denny is a race car driver and finds a lovely woman named Eve. The daughter Zoe arrives and things go downhill. Eve is sick and Denny isn't sure how to handle things. Eve's parents step in and a custody battle ensues. But Enzo never gives up. He's one hilarious dog. And very, very faithful.

No comments: