Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Book of Getting Even by Benjamin Taylor


I knew this little adult novel would be a quick read--just perfect for a Tuesday afternoon And now I'm not too sure what I think of it. I finished it, at least. But I think it's a little too adult for my student readers, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I just think that this book has a lot of dialogue and nuances that adults can catch, but maybe not so much teenagers.

Gabriel grows up the son of a rabbi in New Orleans. He goes to Swarthmore up north at the age of 16 in the 1970s and meets a girl and a boy who become his best friends. Gabriel is gay and has a relationship with Danny, but Marghie is in love with him, too. The twins embrace Gabriel and the three grow up together. As the years pass in the different parts of the novel, each character develops. But I think this is a brainy book. I had to read some parts slowly to catch all the movie and politic references, and in parts I had no idea what I was reading. I have a feeling that this is the type of book I would like if I wore all black, went to the opera often, and went to cocktail parties. :)

No comments: