Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Host by Stephanie Meyer


I'm ready to make some enemies with this blog post, so bring on the negative comments! :)

Stephenie Meyer needs an editor who isn't afraid to say, "Hey! This is 200 pages too long--cut the crap!"

I'm sorry. I just really don't enjoy reading Meyer's books. However, I'm thankful that she gets kids reading. This year I had almost every starter on the basketball team reading the Twilight series and I thought it was wonderful. But, whoa, her books bore me. I'm not a fan of soap operas. Ahhh, the drama! Will she or won't she? Which man will she choose?

The host is Meyer's first adult book, although it could have been published as young adult. She's the queen of "clean" lit, and I admire her for that. At least there's a lot of kissing in this book, but it's still squeaky clean, and I'm not sure how that happens when there are thirty adults living underground together. But Melanie's body is invaded by the Wanderer. The Wanderer is an alien who survives by sucking into the brain of a host. But Melanie is strong and rebels, so there are two women inside the brain of one body. The Wanderer, or Wanda, gives into Melanie and they go find a group of rebel humans in the desert. Of course, the man drama is that Ian loves Wanda and Jared loves Melanie, but they are both in the same body. What to do?

I knew I had to read this. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

No comments: