Thursday, June 26, 2008

Murder at the Opera by Margaret Truman, Read by Phil Gigante


Years ago I read all of the books in the Capital Crimes series, and I've let it slack lately. So, when I saw that the Casey Public Library had this one in, I had to check it out.

I forgot how formulaic some mystery series are. But, hey, I guess that's why they are popular. I was kinda bored to tears, but I liked the subjects--mystery and opera. I learned a little bit about Tosca, which I'd love to see someday. Basically Mac Smith and his wife get involved in the murder of a young Asian-Canadian opera star and help solve it. Add in an overweight cop who has a crush on his petite partner and an ex-detective who knows too much about the arts and you've got a novel. To sum it up, this is a typical mystery and didn't surprise me. I don't think I'll be listening or reading any more of Truman's works unless I hear of something by her that's new and different.

No comments: