Sunday, June 29, 2008

Superpowers by David J. Schwartz


I totally agree with Publishers Weekly on this adult novel, and I'm not quite sure what the Booklist reviewer was thinking. This book just doesn't work, although the concept is interesting. Five college students suddenly become superpowers--flight, mind reading, invisibility, strength, and speed. Wow--sounds good, right? But I never got close to any of the 5 main characters, mainly because the author kept throwing in tons of secondary characters who weren't necessary. I couldn't keep track of the names. And I wasn't sure why some of them were in there. I initially wanted to see how the superpowers worked with 9/11, but the terrorism didn't really enter the book at all. It seemed like the Trade Center stuff was thrown in at the end of the novel and not really fleshed out. The ending was wrapped up nicely (and badly), leaving me feeling disappointed and sad. I really wanted to like this book. It has a great cover and great one sentence summary, but I can't recommend it to anyone.

No comments: