Monday, June 16, 2008

There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern, Performed by Aoife McMahon and Aidan McArdle


My close friends know that I have a thing with accents. Especially Irish brogues. So as soon as I saw this new adult audiobook at my public library, I had to get it. Take a look at the readers' names! Irish--Yay! I was in heaven.

Unfortunately the book wasn't as good as the readers. I've listened to Ahern's If You Could See Me Now and PS, I Love You, Love, Rosie and enjoyed them. But as soon as I understood the plot of this one, I was disappointed. I really don't want to read (or listen to) another book about dead people. Maybe this is because of the popularity of The Lovely Bones and all the spin-offs lately? I'm not sure. But I hate the plot.

Sandy Shortt has OCD and hates when things go missing. This leads her to a high school psychologist (whom she falls in love with and he acts on it later--yuck) and her occupation as a missing persons investigator. But she ends up jogging and finds herself HERE. Where there are tons of missing people. She recognizes them. But HERE they are married, with children, and aged. Things are strange. And Sandy is kind of breaking the rules of HERE when her own items go missing. All in all, listen to this one for the accents, not the plot!

No comments: