Friday, August 22, 2008

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

If you like thick books, this one is for you! This adult novel is quiet and calming and very suspenseful. I will admit that I was getting a little bogged down in the middle, because I didn't want to stay up until 2 am to finish. To me, that means the book isn't excellent. But I do know this is a bestseller and there is a reason.

Think Hamlet. Edgar's family raises dogs. But then Edgar's uncle comes to stay and Edgar's father dies. Did the uncle kill him? Because the uncle makes his move pretty fast on Edgar's mother. And Edgar has to get proof. This is more difficult for Edgar though because he's mute. He can hear, but he can't talk for some reason, so he has to sign. This means that he can communicate great with the dogs and helps train and care for them.

No comments: