Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Breakfast at Bloomingdale's by Kristen Kemp

I really needed a young adult chick lit book. I know, I know, I should be reading titles for my committee, but sometimes a girl just needs a break! Kemp's novel was a little different. Cat Zappe (her name is really Junebug) heads to New York City on her own before she even graduates from high school. Her plans were to always head there after graduation with her grandmother and start their own clothing line, Breakfast. But those plans change when her stylish, eccentric grandmother dies suddenly. Cat is left with boxes of her grandmother's things, a boyfriend who dumps her, and unsurety. Somehow she has to make it. Through a strange network of friends and acquanitances, she makes it in NYC, even though her mother is wanting her to come back home.

I loved the Project Runway feel to the novel, but it might bore some readers. And Cat is quirky and the dialogue is stilted at times. And sometimes the girl just needs smacked for being rude! :) jk! But the cover is great. And it's about fashion. So give me more!

No comments: