Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Free-Range Chickens by Simon Rich

I don't usually like joke books. But this author writes for Saturday Night Live and knows what he's doing! Several of these cracked me up. The selection "Middle School Telephone Conversation" has two kids emailing their friends about how they both won a million dollars in a Clearing House Sweepstakes. "Frogs" has one frog justifying their dissection but another one contradicting him because the freshmen kid's lab report was poorly written. "Time Machine" and "The Eleventh Hour" cracked me up. I'm breaking copyright rules, I'm sure, but I think Mr. Rich will approve since I'm pushing his novel. Email me if you don't, Mr. Rich!

The eleventh hour

--Warden? It's the governor. I've decided to pardon Jenkins.
--Sir, it's 12:55. Jenkins has been dead for nearly an hour.
--Really? My watch says 11:55.
--Did you . . . remember that it's daylight savings day?
--(Sighs) I can't believe this happened two years in a row.

No comments: