Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Girls by Lori Lansens, Read by Stephanie Zimbalist and Lolita Davidovich


This is one of the adult novels that made it onto the 2009 Abraham Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award list. And (I hate to admit this) I hadn't read it before! I managed to interlibrary loan the CD version of the novel though and it was an interesting tale.

Rose and Ruby are conjoined twins who cannot be separated. Both girls tell their stories in this book and they are completely different people. And, oh, what a life. Their mother abandons them at birth and their nurse becomes their "aunt." In slow, but sure ways, both girls find romance. Kinda. Rose is a writer who carries her sister around all the time. Ruby is the more delicate sister who is interested in finding Native American artifacts in the fields around their home.

To me, the novel wasn't great. But I can see why high school students might be fascinated with the idea of conjoined twins.

No comments: