Monday, September 1, 2008

Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Famous and Obscure Writers edited by Smith Magazine


First of all, I love when I can read books in 30 minutes. I sped through this one, only stopping to add my favorites to my myspace and facebook pages. And I found tons of poems that I loved.

All of this started when Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a story in six words. He wrote, "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." Wow. That gets you thinking, doesn't it? And most of the 6 word memoirs in this book will, too.

Some of my favs.....

Painful nerd kid, happy nerd adult. - L.J.Williamson
Boy, if I had a hammer. - Tim Barkow
Bespectacled, besneakered, read and ran around. -Rachel Fershleiser
Supported the sublime with uncurbed enthusiasm. -Jeff Newelt
Danced in Fields of Infinite Possibilities. -Deepak Chopra
Soul'd out so I could prophet. -Gotham Chopra
Followed rules, not dreams. Never again. -Margaret Hellerstein
I'm enjoying even this downward dance. -Colum McCann
All night phone calls complete me -Harry Manning
Barrister, barista, what's the diff, Mom? -Abigail Moorhouse
And he nerded as never before. -Jon Thysell
It's not you. It's me. Honest. -Allison Glock
Thought I would have more impact. -Kevin Clark
Time to start over again, again. -Dan Petronelli
Still lost on road less traveled. -Joe Quesada
Discovered moral code via Judy Blume. -Beth Greivel
My first concert: Zappa. Explains everything. -Janet Tashjian
Boys liked her. She preferred books. - Anneliese Cuttle
Carbohydrates call my name every day. -Mary Petersdorf
Some collect coins. I collect diplomas. -Srini Rajagopalan
I fell far from the tree. -Rebecca Stadolnik
Without me, it is just aweso. -Chris Madigan
I have not done it all. -Aaron Knoll
Well, I thought it was funny. -Stephen Colbert
Cheese is the essence of life. -Mary Lynch
The freaks, they always find me. -Ginger Lime
Must remember: people, gadgets. That order. -Briam Lam
Wasn't born a redhead; fixed that. -Andie Grace

No comments: