Sunday, September 21, 2008

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks


This adult novel is for adults, especially librarians and die-hard book nerds! I really can't see a high school student getting into this, but I've been proven wrong before! Brooks is a great writer--you can't deny that. But it took me a week to read this book, and that's too long. If the book fascinates me, I get sucked in and read fast. I didn't feel that way with this one.

Hanna Heath is known for preserving books and gets the call to study the Sarajevo Haggadah. It's old and has a fascinating history. She finds things like a cat hair and a wine stain in the book and through flashbacks we find the secrets of the book. Here's the deal though. I don't really care what an old book has gone through. Maybe I'm a cynic? Or just a realist? But the mystery of this book wasn't enough of a mystery to me.

No comments: