Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent


I feel like I just read a novelization of The Crucible. I know I've read lots of books about the Salem witch trials, but I don't feel like I read anything new here. I kept thinking, "Hey, where's Tituba?" and then she showed up in a prison scene with a one-line appearance. I'm not saying I didn't like this book--it's a beautiful read, very well-written, and interesting. But I was a little disappointed, too. I wanted to be wowed and I wasn't. The adult novel is mainly written from the point-of-view of Sarah, daughter of Martha Carrier, in the time period before and during the Salem witch trials. There was so much history involved that I knew what was going to happen. And the prison scenes were dreadful and I could practically smell the stink. But what new about the trials came from the writing of this book? Am I being too picky? But, hey, don't you love the cover?

No comments: