Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes


I'm not a big fan of Victorian stuff. So as soon as the narrator started off with "Be warned. This book has no literary merit whatsoever. Needless to say, I doubt you'll believe a word of it," I cringed. I really don't like getting a good talking to from a narrator. And I heard his silly voice for the whole book.

Now, Edward Moon and the Somnabulist, I liked. Moon is a conjurer past his prime who still gives magic shows in the seedy part of town. The Somnabulist is a mute who can be stabbed with swords and not bleed or hurt. The two of them form quite a friendship and set off to solve a mystery. Add in a secret government society, tons of societies of freaks, and London, and it's a book. I loved the setting and the details, but just didn't find myself getting into the book. I did have to read to find out what happened at the end, but I wasn't impressed. But, again, this just isn't my type of book.

No comments: