Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Read by the Author


I'm actually quite pleased that this book won the Newbery! (Wow! I agree!) After listening to the audiobook, I thought, "Yep, Gaiman did it again!" He has a way of writing creepy books that have just enough lightheartedness to keep me going.

Bod Owens lives in a graveyard, even though he's human. As a baby, his parents were murdered and the mysterious Jack is still after him. And so the ghosts adopt him. Bod (short for Nobody) is given gifts to help him--see in the dark, pass through gates, learn how to fade from sight. The ghosts raise a wonderful boy who yearns to see what is outside the gates of the cemetery. Eventually Jack finds him and an exciting denouement had me wanting to finish the audiobook quickly. All in all, this will make one heck of a movie!

No comments: