Friday, April 3, 2009

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson, Read by Madisun Leigh


Well, I found my least favorite Anderson title. But, I still like it. And her. Sure, this young adult novel can be added to any historical fiction list pretty easily, but I didn't find anything different about it. It read like many other slave fiction tales I've read. Sure, Anderson writes well, but I don't see what the fuss was about this title.

Isabel is thirteen and a slave who takes care of her younger sister, Ruth. Even after being promised freedom from a dying owner, Isabel and Ruth are sold to a brutal mistress. The Locktons are Tories who support England during the Revolution. Isabel is torn--which side will support the freeing of slaves? She isn't sure and her loyalties waver back and forth. But after meeting Curzon, a young black slave who fights for the Revolution in place of his master, Isabel starts rooting for the Rebels. Whatever the government situation is though, Isabel wants to be free.

No comments: