Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fall by Colin McAdam


First off, a disclaimer. I love the book cover, the author's name, the book title, and the awesome photograph. On the back jacket, a quote from the Aryn Kyle (author of The God of Animals) praises the book. So, um, I was a little biased before I even started reading.

The adult novel mainly alternates between the voices of two teenage upperclassmen at an elite boarding school. Both are sons of ambassadors/diplomats and used to a priveleged life. Julius is handsome, friendly, athletic and dating the hottest girl at school. Noel has a lazy eye, was bullied as a youngster, and has anger issues. The two boys end up rooming together on a lark and a friendship ensues. Noel is falling in love with Fallon (Fall for short), too. But Fall disappears, Julius falls apart, and Noel starts picking fights. The mystery is intense. I couldn't help but think about my fav YA novel, Looking for Alaska, as I read this one since the plot is very similar.

I'm still contemplating this one. I think I really enjoyed it, even though the ending wasn't satisfying. I wanted to keep reading and I felt like I knew silly Julius and starnge Noel pretty well. The author really gets you inside their heads, which is great. Fall is an object, of course, but that's how the two boys see her. How about you? Have you read it? What do you think?

No comments: