Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fancy White Trash by Marjetta Geerling


Sometimes there really are reasons to listen to your mother. A few months ago, my mom (a h.s. librarian in central Illinois) told me to read this young adult novel. So, when I saw it in May while completing inventory, I added it to my "to read" collection. Heehee. I'm glad I did. Poor, poor Abby lives in a family that most people would call white trash. I, um, saw a lot of similarities between her life and some of the people around me. I'm not naming names. But Abby's step-dad is the father of her sister's baby. And her step-dad dated her other sister, too. And Abby is worried that her cute admirer could be the father of her sister's baby, until a blood type lab at school puts her at ease. Take into account her mothers rusting Benz and the fights in the front yard, and Abby has quite a life. Oh, and don't forget her male best friend who finally figures out that he's gay and decides to come out. This book is hilarious and a must-read YA chick book for the summer!

No comments: